Special Needs and Discretionary Trusts

Santa Rosa Special Needs Trust Attorney

A special needs trust, also called a “discretionary trust”, is created to benefit a child or adult who is not capable of taking care of his or her own financial, health or other needs. The adult may suffer a mental handicap, physical handicap or be frail in old age.

These trusts tend to last for many years. A bank trust officer or private fiduciary may be chosen as trustee or you may choose to have co-fiduciaries, such as a family member who knows the beneficiary well, and a bank officer who has more financial savvy. Private fiduciaries need not be affiliated with an institution, but they do need a license. You may also elect to have an advisory council in addition to the trustee. Compensation to the trustee is arranged in advance, as an hourly rate or otherwise.

The trustee has discretion as to disbursements. Importantly, he or she must ensure that disbursements do not disqualify the beneficiary from continued government benefits the beneficiary may receive. If funds available to the beneficiary rise to a certain level, he will be disqualified. However, the basic goal is quality-of-life of the beneficiary.

Experienced and Effective Representation

I am  Charles Stark, and I represent Sonoma County, California, clients in family law, divorce, estate planning, business matters and real estate law. With more than three decades of hard-earned experience, a proven track record of handling complex cases and an emphasis on client service, my practice is respected among former clients, fellow attorneys and judges.

I am a lawyer rated “Very High” in both legal ability and ethical standards by Martindale-Hubbell. I offer sophisticated legal solutions in family law and estate planning.

By completing these two document before your consultation, it will give me a better idea of what your estate planning needs are and will help me tailor your estate plan to suit your needs.

Sonoma County Special Needs Lawyer

If you are considering establishing a financial estate preservation plan, or if you are an administrator seeking help with Sonoma County probate,  contact me online or by phone at 707-623-1157 to schedule a meeting. Successful outcomes start with the right choices about your future. My rates are reasonable, either hourly or by flat-fee, and I accept Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express.

Contact Us

Sorry. This form is no longer accepting new submissions.